Brooklyn Nets. Last Season: 22-44, did not make playoffs
Starting 5: Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Gerald Wallace, Kris Humphries, Brook Lopez
Bench: Brooks provides depth as a backup guard both offensively and defensively. Evans will provide quality production behind Humphries and Lopez on defense, but there’s not much scoring threat beyond the starting five.
Expected Wins: 42-45 wins
Expected Losses: 37-40 losses
Players Kept – G/F MarShon Brooks, F Kris Humphries, C Brook Lopez, F Gerald Wallace, G Deron Williams
Free Agents – G Sundiata Gaines, F Damion James, G Armon Johnson, F/C Shelden Williams
Players Added – F Ilkan Karaman (draft), F Tornike Shengelia (draft), G Tyshawn Taylor (draft), G Keith Bogans (FA), G/F Jerry Stackhouse (FA), F Mirza Teletovic (FA), G C.J. Watson (FA), F Reggie Evans (trade), G Joe Johnson (trade)
Players Lost – G/F Gerald Green (FA), G Jordan Farmar (trade), F Anthony Morrow (trade), G Johan Petro (trade), F DeShawn Stevenson (trade), F Jordan Williams (trade)
1902 – Red Holzman was born in Brooklyn, New York. Holzman is a Hall of Fame coach who lead the New York Knicks to the NBA Championship in 1970 and 1973. He coached 1,300 NBA games over 18 seasons, winning 53.5% of the games (696 wins – 604 losses) as well as coaching in 106 NBA Playoff games.
1984 – The USA Men’s basketball team defeated Spain 96-65 to win the Gold Medal in the Los Angeles Olympics.
2006 – Diana Taurasi (of the Phoenix Mercury) scores 47 points (WNBA record) in a triple-overtime win against the Houston Comets.
- The Cleveland Cavaliers trade G D.J. Kennedy to the Memphis Grizzlies for G Jeremy Pargo, cash considerations and a 2014 second-round draft pick
- The Phoenix Suns re-sign G Shannon Brown to a 2 year deal
- Andrei Kirilenko will not sign with the Brooklyn Nets as they can only offer the veterans minimum.
- Andrei Kirilenko is being looked at by the Minnesota Timberwolves after they failed to sign F Nicolas Batum
THREE TEAM TRADE – RUMOUR (SHOULD BE FINALISED SOON):
Three team trade involving the New Orleans Hornets, the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Phoenix Suns:
- The Hornets receive C Robin Lopez (from Phoenix), F Hakim Warrick (from Phoenix) and cash considerations
- The Timberwolves receive G Jermoe Dyson (from New Orleans), C Brad Miller* (from New Orleans) and 2 second-round draft picks (from New Orleans)
- The Suns receive F Wesley Johnson (from Minnesota) and a first-round draft pick (from Minnesota)
*Brad Miller is owed $5.1 million dollars this season, though he has announced retirement, he is still entitled to this salary.
Wednesday, July 11 – Signings that have been formally processed:
- The Brooklyn Nets have re-signed G Deron Williams (5 year contract), F Gerald Wallace (4 year contract) and C Brook Lopez (4 year contract).
- The Denver Nuggets re-signed G Andre Miller.
- The Detroit Pistons signed 2011 draft pick F Kyle Singler to a multi-year deal.
- The Los Angeles Clippers re-signed F Blake Griffin (5 year contract) and signed free agent G Jamal Crawford.
- The Miami Heat signed G Ray Allen and F Rashard Lewis.
- The New York Knicks re-signed G J.R. Smith.
- The Oklahoma City Thunder signed C Hasheem Thabeet.
- The Phoenix Suns offered G Eric Gordon an offer, the New Orleans Hornets have 3 days to match or decline it.
- The San Antonio Spurs re-signed F Tim Duncan and G/F Danny Green.
- The Toronto Raptors offered G Landry Fields to a 3 year contract, the New York Knicks have 3 days to match or decline it.
- The Utah Jazz re-signed G Jamaal Tinsley.
Wednesday, July 11 – Trades that have been formally processed:
- The Atlanta Hawks receive G Anthony Morrow, G Jordan Farmar, F Jordan Williams, F DeShawn Stevenson, F Johan Petro and a 2017 second-round pick from the Brooklyn Nets for G Joe Johnson.
- The Atlanta Hawks traded G Marvin Williams to the Utah Jazz for G Devin Harris.
- The Brooklyn Nets received F Reggie Evans from the Los Angeles Clipper’s for the rights to switch 2016 second-round draft picks, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Houston Rockets traded G Kyle Lowery to the Toronto Raptors for F Gary Forbes and a future first-round draft pick.
- The Houston Rockets received G Toney Douglas, C Josh Harrellson, C Jerome Jordan and 2 future second-round draft picks from the New York Knicks for C Marcus Camby, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Orlando Magic received F Gustavo Ayon from the New Orleans Hornets for Ryan Anderson, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Philadelphia Sixers received F Dorell Wright from the Golden State Warriors.
- The Phoenix Suns received the Los Angeles Lakers’ 2013 and 2015 first-round draft picks and the Lakers’ 2013 and 2014 second-round draft picks for G Steve Nash.