Today marks the first day of a new segment – Today in NBA History. This segment is pretty self explanatory, but for those of you confused, it is information relating to the NBA that occurred on the day of the post in years prior. (Please note that I’ll be posting from Australia, so they day might be different in your time zone).
1962 – Patrick Ewing was born in Jamaica. Ewing, a member of the Hall of Fame, enjoyed 17 years in the NBA (15 seasons with the New York Knicks) and retired with career averages of 21 points, 9.8 rebounds, 2.4 blocks. He was also a member of the Dream Team in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, an 11 time NBA All-Star and a 7x All-NBA team (1 All-NBA First team, 6 All-NBA Second team).
1976 – Denver, Indiana, New York and San Antonio transfer from the ABA (American Basketball League) to the NBA.
Thursday, July 12 – Signings that have been formally processed:
- The Atlanta Hawks have signed G Lou Williams.
- The Indiana Pacers signed G/F Gerald Green.
- The Milwaukee Bucks have re-signed F Ersan Ilyasova.
- The Minnesota Timberwolves offered F Nicolas Batum an offer, the Portland Trailblazers have 3 days to match.
- The New York Knicks signed G Jason Kidd and re-signed F Steve Novak.
- The San Antonio Spurs re-sign F Boris Diaw.
Thursday, July 12 – Trades that have been formally processed:
- The Indiana Pacers receive C Ian Mahinmi from the Dallas Mavericks for G Darren Collison and G/F Dahntay Jones
Wednesday, July 11 – Signings that have been formally processed:
- The Brooklyn Nets have re-signed G Deron Williams (5 year contract), F Gerald Wallace (4 year contract) and C Brook Lopez (4 year contract).
- The Denver Nuggets re-signed G Andre Miller.
- The Detroit Pistons signed 2011 draft pick F Kyle Singler to a multi-year deal.
- The Los Angeles Clippers re-signed F Blake Griffin (5 year contract) and signed free agent G Jamal Crawford.
- The Miami Heat signed G Ray Allen and F Rashard Lewis.
- The New York Knicks re-signed G J.R. Smith.
- The Oklahoma City Thunder signed C Hasheem Thabeet.
- The Phoenix Suns offered G Eric Gordon an offer, the New Orleans Hornets have 3 days to match or decline it.
- The San Antonio Spurs re-signed F Tim Duncan and G/F Danny Green.
- The Toronto Raptors offered G Landry Fields to a 3 year contract, the New York Knicks have 3 days to match or decline it.
- The Utah Jazz re-signed G Jamaal Tinsley.
Wednesday, July 11 – Trades that have been formally processed:
- The Atlanta Hawks receive G Anthony Morrow, G Jordan Farmar, F Jordan Williams, F DeShawn Stevenson, F Johan Petro and a 2017 second-round pick from the Brooklyn Nets for G Joe Johnson.
- The Atlanta Hawks traded G Marvin Williams to the Utah Jazz for G Devin Harris.
- The Brooklyn Nets received F Reggie Evans from the Los Angeles Clipper’s for the rights to switch 2016 second-round draft picks, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Houston Rockets traded G Kyle Lowery to the Toronto Raptors for F Gary Forbes and a future first-round draft pick.
- The Houston Rockets received G Toney Douglas, C Josh Harrellson, C Jerome Jordan and 2 future second-round draft picks from the New York Knicks for C Marcus Camby, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Orlando Magic received F Gustavo Ayon from the New Orleans Hornets for Ryan Anderson, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Philadelphia Sixers received F Dorell Wright from the Golden State Warriors.
- The Phoenix Suns received the Los Angeles Lakers’ 2013 and 2015 first-round draft picks and the Lakers’ 2013 and 2014 second-round draft picks for G Steve Nash.