1936 – The first basketball Gold Medal game is played in the Olympics at Berlin. USA defeat Canada 19-8 in front of 1,000 spectators – including Dr. James Naismith (the creator of basketball) – during a rainstorm on an outdoor court.
1959 – Earvin “Magic” Johnson, Jr. is born in Michigan. Magic was named to the NBA’s 50th Anniversary All-Time Team in 1996. Magic Johnson averaged 19.5 points, 7.2 rebounds and 11.2 assists over 13 seasons, all with the Los Angeles Lakers. The Lakers have had Magic’s #32 jersey retired since 1992. Magic is a 3x NBA MVP (1987, 1989, 1990) as well as a 12x NBA All-Star, winning 2 NBA All-Star MVPs in 1990 and 1992. Magic won 5 NBA championships (1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988) as well as being named the NBA Finals MVP in 1980, 1982 and 1987. Magic was drafted number 1 overall in the 1979 draft after 2 years at Michigan State University where he averaged 17.1 points, 7.6 rebounds and 7.9 assists.
1994 – The “Dream Team II” demolishes Russia 137-91 to win the Gold Medal in the FIBA World Championship in Toronto.
A four-team deal involving the Orlando Magic, Los Angeles Lakers, Denver Nuggets and Philadelphia 76ers has been completed.
- Denver Nuggets receive G/F Andre Iguodala (from Philadelphia)
- Los Angeles Lakers receive C Dwight Howard (from Orlando), G Chris Duhon (from Orlando) and F Earl Clark (from Orlando)
- Orlando Magic receive G Arron Afflalo (from Denver), F Al Harrington (from Denver), C/F Nikola Vucevic (from Philadelphia), F Josh McRoberts (from Los Angeles), G Christian Eyenga (from Los Angeles) and five draft pick over 5 years.
- Philadelphia 76ers receive C Andrew Bynum (from Los Angeles), G/F Jason Richardson (from Orlando)
1930 – Jerry Tarkanian is born in Ohio. Tark the Shark was known for his coaching career at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) but retired with a career record of 990 wins – 228 losses (81.3%).
1979 – Rashard Lewis is born in Louisiana. So far, Lewis has averaged 16.1 points, 5.6 rebounds, 1.8 assists per game over 14 seasons in the NBA. He has played for the Seattle Super Sonics, Orlando Magic and Washington Wizards and made 2 All-Star appearances.
1992 – The United States “Dream Team” won the Gold Medal in the Olympics in Barcelona. The team won by an average of 43.8 points and is still considered the greatest team assembled in any sport of all time. The roster included:
- Charles Barkley
- Larry Bird
- Clyde Drexler
- Patrick Ewing
- Magic Johnson
- Michael Jordan
- Christian Laettner
- Karl Malone
- Chris Mullin
- Scottie Pippen
- David Robinson
- John Stockton
Wednesday, July 11 – Trades that have been formally processed:
- The Atlanta Hawks receive G Anthony Morrow, G Jordan Farmar, F Jordan Williams, F DeShawn Stevenson, F Johan Petro and a 2017 second-round pick from the Brooklyn Nets for G Joe Johnson.
- The Atlanta Hawks traded G Marvin Williams to the Utah Jazz for G Devin Harris.
- The Brooklyn Nets received F Reggie Evans from the Los Angeles Clipper’s for the rights to switch 2016 second-round draft picks, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Houston Rockets traded G Kyle Lowery to the Toronto Raptors for F Gary Forbes and a future first-round draft pick.
- The Houston Rockets received G Toney Douglas, C Josh Harrellson, C Jerome Jordan and 2 future second-round draft picks from the New York Knicks for C Marcus Camby, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Orlando Magic received F Gustavo Ayon from the New Orleans Hornets for Ryan Anderson, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Philadelphia Sixers received F Dorell Wright from the Golden State Warriors.
- The Phoenix Suns received the Los Angeles Lakers’ 2013 and 2015 first-round draft picks and the Lakers’ 2013 and 2014 second-round draft picks for G Steve Nash.