1974 – Moses Malone, 19 years old, signs with the American Basketball Association (ABA) Utah Stars. This deal – a seven-year contract worth up to $3 million – made Malone the highest paid teenager in sports history at the time. Moses Malone was the second player in the history of the NBA and ABA to play professional basketball out of high school.
1980 – David West is born in New Jersey. West currently plays for the Indiana Pacers, previously playing for the New Orleans Hornets (2003-2011). West was an NBA All-Star in 2008 and 2009). In his 9 years in the league, West is averaging 16 points and 7.2 rebounds per game.
- The Cleveland Cavaliers trade G D.J. Kennedy to the Memphis Grizzlies for G Jeremy Pargo, cash considerations and a 2014 second-round draft pick
- The Phoenix Suns re-sign G Shannon Brown to a 2 year deal
- Andrei Kirilenko will not sign with the Brooklyn Nets as they can only offer the veterans minimum.
- Andrei Kirilenko is being looked at by the Minnesota Timberwolves after they failed to sign F Nicolas Batum
THREE TEAM TRADE – RUMOUR (SHOULD BE FINALISED SOON):
Three team trade involving the New Orleans Hornets, the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Phoenix Suns:
- The Hornets receive C Robin Lopez (from Phoenix), F Hakim Warrick (from Phoenix) and cash considerations
- The Timberwolves receive G Jermoe Dyson (from New Orleans), C Brad Miller* (from New Orleans) and 2 second-round draft picks (from New Orleans)
- The Suns receive F Wesley Johnson (from Minnesota) and a first-round draft pick (from Minnesota)
*Brad Miller is owed $5.1 million dollars this season, though he has announced retirement, he is still entitled to this salary.
Wednesday, July 11 – Signings that have been formally processed:
- The Brooklyn Nets have re-signed G Deron Williams (5 year contract), F Gerald Wallace (4 year contract) and C Brook Lopez (4 year contract).
- The Denver Nuggets re-signed G Andre Miller.
- The Detroit Pistons signed 2011 draft pick F Kyle Singler to a multi-year deal.
- The Los Angeles Clippers re-signed F Blake Griffin (5 year contract) and signed free agent G Jamal Crawford.
- The Miami Heat signed G Ray Allen and F Rashard Lewis.
- The New York Knicks re-signed G J.R. Smith.
- The Oklahoma City Thunder signed C Hasheem Thabeet.
- The Phoenix Suns offered G Eric Gordon an offer, the New Orleans Hornets have 3 days to match or decline it.
- The San Antonio Spurs re-signed F Tim Duncan and G/F Danny Green.
- The Toronto Raptors offered G Landry Fields to a 3 year contract, the New York Knicks have 3 days to match or decline it.
- The Utah Jazz re-signed G Jamaal Tinsley.
Wednesday, July 11 – Trades that have been formally processed:
- The Atlanta Hawks receive G Anthony Morrow, G Jordan Farmar, F Jordan Williams, F DeShawn Stevenson, F Johan Petro and a 2017 second-round pick from the Brooklyn Nets for G Joe Johnson.
- The Atlanta Hawks traded G Marvin Williams to the Utah Jazz for G Devin Harris.
- The Brooklyn Nets received F Reggie Evans from the Los Angeles Clipper’s for the rights to switch 2016 second-round draft picks, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Houston Rockets traded G Kyle Lowery to the Toronto Raptors for F Gary Forbes and a future first-round draft pick.
- The Houston Rockets received G Toney Douglas, C Josh Harrellson, C Jerome Jordan and 2 future second-round draft picks from the New York Knicks for C Marcus Camby, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Orlando Magic received F Gustavo Ayon from the New Orleans Hornets for Ryan Anderson, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Philadelphia Sixers received F Dorell Wright from the Golden State Warriors.
- The Phoenix Suns received the Los Angeles Lakers’ 2013 and 2015 first-round draft picks and the Lakers’ 2013 and 2014 second-round draft picks for G Steve Nash.