here were my predictions and the actual result for August 8 / Olympics Day 11:
Brazil (4-1) vs Argentina (3-2) – Prediction: Brazil by 5 – ACTUAL RESULT: Argentina by 5
- Argentina had a relentless attack with 5 players scoring in double digits.
- Despite Brazil attempting more field goals, Argentina made it to the foul line more often and converted a higher percentage of both (Argentina 47% FG to Brazil 43% FG + Argentina 68% FT to Brazil 50% FT).
United States (5-0) vs Australia (3-2) – Prediction: USA by 25 – ACTUAL RESULT: USA by 33
- The Americans had 6 players in double figures lead by Kobe Bryant’s 20 points (all coming in the second half).
- LeBron James had a nice all-round game with a triple double of 11 points, 14 rebounds and 12 assists. Kevin Love was the only other player in the game to have a double double (10 points, 11 rebounds).
- Patty Mills from Australia lead all scorers with 26 points on 45% shooting from the field and 44% from downtown.
France (4-1) vs Spain (3-2) – Prediction: France by 10 – ACTUAL RESULT: Spain by 7
- Spain held France to a poor shooting night – France were 34% from the field. Spain were also +7 in rebounding and attempted 17 more free throws than France.
Russia (4-1) vs Lithuania (2-3) – Prediction: Russia by 10 – ACTUAL RESULT: Russia by 9
- Russia worked the ball inside – scoring 42 of their 83 points in the paint. Russia shot better inside the 3 point line – 51% compared to 35% by the Lithuanian’s. They also took advantage of Lithuania’s mistakes – scoring 16 points off turnovers.
Following the results of these games, we now know the match ups for the next round:
Argentina v United States while Spain v Russia. The winner of both games will play off for the Gold Medal
Please note that all “announcements”, “talks”, etc. are considered to be rumours until deals are completed, signed and formally accepted by the NBA.
- The Indiana Pacers will re-sign C Roy Hibbert and G George Hill
- The Dallas Mavericks will sign G OJ Mayo
- Jonny Flynn is working out with the Cleveland Cavaliers, Chicago Bulls and Atlanta Hawks
- The Los Angeles Clippers are attempting to sign G/F Grant Hill and will re-sign G Chauncey Billups
- The San Antonio Spurs will re-sign Australian G Patty Mills
- Jeremy Lin has signed a three year offer sheet from the Houston Rockets. The offer sheet is worth over $25 million and will pay $5 million in the first year, $5.225 million in the second year and $14.8 million in the final year