1965 – Bill Russell signs a contract to make him the NBA’s highest paid player at the time. His $100,001 contract made him exactly $1 more than Wilt Chamberlain, Russell’s archrival.
1970 – Robert Horry is born in Maryland. Horry is one of the most known clutch plays in the history of the NBA. Big Shot Rob is a 7× NBA Champion (1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2007).
1889 – Arthur Schabinger (Hall of Fame coach) was born in Kansas. Schabinger was a founder of the National Association of Basketball Coaches.
1904 – Hank Iba (Hall of Fame coach and coach of 2 Olympic Gold Medals) was born in Missouri. Iba is a legendary coach Oklahoma A&M and had an overall head coaching record of 751-340 (68.8%) in basketball and 90-41 (68.7%) in baseball.
1965 – David Robinson was born in Florida. The Admiral retired with career averages of 21.1 points, 10.6 rebounds, and 2.9 blocks over 14 seasons (all with the San Antonio Spurs). Robinson was also a member of the Dream Team in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, a 10 time NBA All-Star, a 10x All-NBA team member (4 All-NBA First team, 2 All-NBA Second team, 3 All-NBA Third team) and an 8x NBA All-Defensive Team (4x All-Defensive First team and 4x All-Defensive Second team).
Today marks the first day of a new segment – Today in NBA History. This segment is pretty self explanatory, but for those of you confused, it is information relating to the NBA that occurred on the day of the post in years prior. (Please note that I’ll be posting from Australia, so they day might be different in your time zone).
1962 – Patrick Ewing was born in Jamaica. Ewing, a member of the Hall of Fame, enjoyed 17 years in the NBA (15 seasons with the New York Knicks) and retired with career averages of 21 points, 9.8 rebounds, 2.4 blocks. He was also a member of the Dream Team in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, an 11 time NBA All-Star and a 7x All-NBA team (1 All-NBA First team, 6 All-NBA Second team).
1976 – Denver, Indiana, New York and San Antonio transfer from the ABA (American Basketball League) to the NBA.
Wednesday, July 11 – Signings that have been formally processed:
- The Brooklyn Nets have re-signed G Deron Williams (5 year contract), F Gerald Wallace (4 year contract) and C Brook Lopez (4 year contract).
- The Denver Nuggets re-signed G Andre Miller.
- The Detroit Pistons signed 2011 draft pick F Kyle Singler to a multi-year deal.
- The Los Angeles Clippers re-signed F Blake Griffin (5 year contract) and signed free agent G Jamal Crawford.
- The Miami Heat signed G Ray Allen and F Rashard Lewis.
- The New York Knicks re-signed G J.R. Smith.
- The Oklahoma City Thunder signed C Hasheem Thabeet.
- The Phoenix Suns offered G Eric Gordon an offer, the New Orleans Hornets have 3 days to match or decline it.
- The San Antonio Spurs re-signed F Tim Duncan and G/F Danny Green.
- The Toronto Raptors offered G Landry Fields to a 3 year contract, the New York Knicks have 3 days to match or decline it.
- The Utah Jazz re-signed G Jamaal Tinsley.