1936 – The first basketball Gold Medal game is played in the Olympics at Berlin. USA defeat Canada 19-8 in front of 1,000 spectators – including Dr. James Naismith (the creator of basketball) – during a rainstorm on an outdoor court.
1959 – Earvin “Magic” Johnson, Jr. is born in Michigan. Magic was named to the NBA’s 50th Anniversary All-Time Team in 1996. Magic Johnson averaged 19.5 points, 7.2 rebounds and 11.2 assists over 13 seasons, all with the Los Angeles Lakers. The Lakers have had Magic’s #32 jersey retired since 1992. Magic is a 3x NBA MVP (1987, 1989, 1990) as well as a 12x NBA All-Star, winning 2 NBA All-Star MVPs in 1990 and 1992. Magic won 5 NBA championships (1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988) as well as being named the NBA Finals MVP in 1980, 1982 and 1987. Magic was drafted number 1 overall in the 1979 draft after 2 years at Michigan State University where he averaged 17.1 points, 7.6 rebounds and 7.9 assists.
1994 – The “Dream Team II” demolishes Russia 137-91 to win the Gold Medal in the FIBA World Championship in Toronto.
Wednesday, July 11 – Signings that have been formally processed:
- The Brooklyn Nets have re-signed G Deron Williams (5 year contract), F Gerald Wallace (4 year contract) and C Brook Lopez (4 year contract).
- The Denver Nuggets re-signed G Andre Miller.
- The Detroit Pistons signed 2011 draft pick F Kyle Singler to a multi-year deal.
- The Los Angeles Clippers re-signed F Blake Griffin (5 year contract) and signed free agent G Jamal Crawford.
- The Miami Heat signed G Ray Allen and F Rashard Lewis.
- The New York Knicks re-signed G J.R. Smith.
- The Oklahoma City Thunder signed C Hasheem Thabeet.
- The Phoenix Suns offered G Eric Gordon an offer, the New Orleans Hornets have 3 days to match or decline it.
- The San Antonio Spurs re-signed F Tim Duncan and G/F Danny Green.
- The Toronto Raptors offered G Landry Fields to a 3 year contract, the New York Knicks have 3 days to match or decline it.
- The Utah Jazz re-signed G Jamaal Tinsley.
Wednesday, July 11 – Trades that have been formally processed:
- The Atlanta Hawks receive G Anthony Morrow, G Jordan Farmar, F Jordan Williams, F DeShawn Stevenson, F Johan Petro and a 2017 second-round pick from the Brooklyn Nets for G Joe Johnson.
- The Atlanta Hawks traded G Marvin Williams to the Utah Jazz for G Devin Harris.
- The Brooklyn Nets received F Reggie Evans from the Los Angeles Clipper’s for the rights to switch 2016 second-round draft picks, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Houston Rockets traded G Kyle Lowery to the Toronto Raptors for F Gary Forbes and a future first-round draft pick.
- The Houston Rockets received G Toney Douglas, C Josh Harrellson, C Jerome Jordan and 2 future second-round draft picks from the New York Knicks for C Marcus Camby, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Orlando Magic received F Gustavo Ayon from the New Orleans Hornets for Ryan Anderson, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Philadelphia Sixers received F Dorell Wright from the Golden State Warriors.
- The Phoenix Suns received the Los Angeles Lakers’ 2013 and 2015 first-round draft picks and the Lakers’ 2013 and 2014 second-round draft picks for G Steve Nash.