1974 – Moses Malone, 19 years old, signs with the American Basketball Association (ABA) Utah Stars. This deal – a seven-year contract worth up to $3 million – made Malone the highest paid teenager in sports history at the time. Moses Malone was the second player in the history of the NBA and ABA to play professional basketball out of high school.
1980 – David West is born in New Jersey. West currently plays for the Indiana Pacers, previously playing for the New Orleans Hornets (2003-2011). West was an NBA All-Star in 2008 and 2009). In his 9 years in the league, West is averaging 16 points and 7.2 rebounds per game.
Wednesday, July 11 – Trades that have been formally processed:
- The Atlanta Hawks receive G Anthony Morrow, G Jordan Farmar, F Jordan Williams, F DeShawn Stevenson, F Johan Petro and a 2017 second-round pick from the Brooklyn Nets for G Joe Johnson.
- The Atlanta Hawks traded G Marvin Williams to the Utah Jazz for G Devin Harris.
- The Brooklyn Nets received F Reggie Evans from the Los Angeles Clipper’s for the rights to switch 2016 second-round draft picks, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Houston Rockets traded G Kyle Lowery to the Toronto Raptors for F Gary Forbes and a future first-round draft pick.
- The Houston Rockets received G Toney Douglas, C Josh Harrellson, C Jerome Jordan and 2 future second-round draft picks from the New York Knicks for C Marcus Camby, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Orlando Magic received F Gustavo Ayon from the New Orleans Hornets for Ryan Anderson, via a sign-and-trade.
- The Philadelphia Sixers received F Dorell Wright from the Golden State Warriors.
- The Phoenix Suns received the Los Angeles Lakers’ 2013 and 2015 first-round draft picks and the Lakers’ 2013 and 2014 second-round draft picks for G Steve Nash.